Team carries out Korea's first successful uterus transplant
简介Samsung Medical Center has carried out the first successful uterus transplantation in South Korea.Du ...
Samsung Medical Center has carried out the first successful uterus transplantation in South Korea.
During the surgery in January this year, the multidisciplinary team were able to transfer the uterus to a 35-year-old woman with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome.
MRKH is a rare disorder, which affects about 1 in 5,000 females at birth, characterized by an underdeveloped or absent uterus. A uterus transplant gives women without functioning wombs -- such as those with MRKH -- the opportunity to conceive children.
Prior to the successful operation, the patient had already undergone one failed transplant, removed only two weeks after the initial surgery. Fortunately, the medical team was able to carry out a second transplant in January 2023. With the patient having been in stable condition for over 10 months, Samsung Medical Center declared the operation successful.
For both the patient and the medical team, the surgery itself was only half of the battle. Although the outcome of the transplant is promising, the success of a uterus transplant is not only determined by the acceptance of the organ, but also the delivery of a healthy baby. As the transplanted womb seems to be functioning well, the team is hopeful of a healthy birth.
A uterus transplant is not intended to be permanent. After one or two pregnancies, the uterus is surgically removed again. This is done to avoid a life-long dependency on medication -- immunosuppressive drugs -- needed to prevent the body from rejecting the transplanted uterus.
Uterus transplants are still considered to be a fairly experimental surgery worldwide. The first successful womb transplant to result in the birth of a healthy baby was performed in Sweden in 2014. Medical teams in several other countries -- including the UK, Germany, and India -- have also carried out successful transplants.
Besides the uniqueness of the surgery, it is also a costly procedure that is not covered by National Health Insurance.
Nevertheless, for infertile women wishing to give birth to biological children, a uterus transplant is currently their only option, as childbirth through surrogacy -- a process where another person carries the pregnancy on behalf of the intended parent --is currently not recognized by South Korean law.
The Korean government will extend the current tax cut imposed on fuel until the end of the year, the ...
“12.12: The Day,” a political drama revisiting a military-led coup that took place in 1979, has attr ...
Public broadcaster Traffic Broadcasting System, or TBS, appealed to the Seoul Metropolitan Governmen ...
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- S. Korea, AIIB discuss stronger partnership, new investment chances
- [이번 주 리뷰]北,군사위성 발사…정부 온라인 장애속출(20~25일)
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- N. Korea slams Japan's plan to move up US missile purchase as 'arrogant choice'
- Gangnam teen investigated for assaulting deliveryman with golf club
Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
[Hello Hangeul] Welding book first in vocational Korean series for foreign labor
[Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
류호정·장혜영의 ‘세번째권력’ “총선서 30석, 200만 득표가 목표”
Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
김용민 “尹, 총선 승리하면 계엄 선포할 것…저지선 확보해야”
- [Today’s K
- Conflict between Fifty Fifty and agency Attrakt continues to escalate
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- 'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
- Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
- [Herald Interview] Jung Soo
- Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
- Hyundai Engineering wins US gas
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Early Korean history remains virtually unknown abroad
- Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- Allies vow stern measures against Russia